Dementia & Alzheimer's Care in Fairfield, Connecticut
Sturges Ridge of Fairfield is home to central Connecticut’s premier dementia care program. We call it Harbor Memory Care.
In our Harbor Memory Care neighborhood, residents with memory impairment benefit from a meticulous attention to detail. It begins with our associates.
At Sturges Ridge of Fairfield, we follow the hiring practices established by our parent organization, Benchmark Senior Living. That means we hire for empathy and train for excellence.
Associates work under the direction of a dementia care specialist who is responsible for every aspect of this dedicated program. Our associates work together to ensure that each resident feels engaged and productive despite their disease.
An Environment that Supports Safety
We know a leading reason families begin their search for a memory care community is safety. Some of the most common behaviors caused by Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia are also the most difficult ones to manage, like agitation and wandering.
Our thoughtfully designed Harbor Memory Care neighborhood uses best practices we’ve created based on 20 years of caring for adults with dementia.
- Paint Colors: Contrasting wall colors make it easier for residents in our memory care neighborhood to find their way around.
- Special Lighting: Shadows and silhouettes may be frightening for adults with dementia. They can trigger agitation, aggression, and even attempts to wander. By using special lighting, we minimize shadowing.
- Secure Neighborhood: Wandering away from home can have dangerous consequences for people with memory impairment. In our Harbor Memory Care neighborhood, you will find electronic door security inside and out. This helps keep residents safe.
Specialized Dining Program
Another important part of our Harbor Memory Care neighborhood is a dedicated dining program. Through unique support practices, we help each resident maintain a healthy diet:
- A distraction-free environment that keeps a resident’s focus on their food
- Colorful dinnerware and contrasting tablecloths or placemats
- Adaptive tools to make it easier to eat independently
- Texture-modified foods that look appetizing but are less difficult to swallow
Meaningful Activities Each Day
We know how difficult it can be for adults with memory impairment to feel empowered and independent. Through our Live Now, Live Engaged program, we accommodate the impairments caused by the disease and provide residents with meaningful opportunities to feel successful:
- Journey Stations: The need to rummage is common when an adult has memory impairment. Through our journey stations, we make it possible for residents to safely shuffle through items, pack and unpack, and move objects from one station to another.
- Engagement Boxes: Feeling a sense of familiarity is difficult for an adult with memory loss. By creating unique engagement boxes for each resident, we give them an opportunity to revisit their former career and hobbies. It might be a gardener’s box for a resident who loves digging in the dirt or a box full of teaching supplies for a retired teacher.
- Artist in Me: Engaging in the creative arts is a way to help cope with the losses created by Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. Art allows residents with limited communication skills an avenue for sharing their feelings and connecting with loved ones.
Secure Outdoor Courtyard to enjoy the fresh air and outdoor activities.
Visit Us for a Personal Tour
We know it can be difficult to trust the health and happiness of a loved one with memory loss to someone else. That’s why we encourage families to tour Sturges Ridge of Fairfield as many times as they’d like. Stay for lunch. Participate in a few life enrichment programs. It’s the best way to learn more about our commitment to helping adults with dementia feel successful in their everyday lives.
Call us to set up a time to visit!