Dementia & Alzheimer's Care in Smithtown, New York
At Whisper Woods at Smithtown, we help residents with memory loss live their best quality of life. From our thoughtfully chosen and expertly trained team of Associates to our “neighborhood” environment thoughtfully designed to promote success, we provide residents with the care, services, and support needed to feel successful.
The Harbor Memory Care Program is led by a dementia care specialist who is committed to creating purposeful days for each resident. The specialist is responsible for every detail of this dedicated program, including overseeing our innovative approach to resident engagement that helps reduce anxiety, encourage interaction and promote well-being through our wellness, dining and activity programs.
Empowering Adults with Alzheimer’s
Through our Live Now, Live Engaged life enrichment program, each resident has the freedom and help to live meaningful days every day. Research shows how important it is to celebrate the spirit and to support the remaining capabilities of adults with memory impairment. Some experts believe it may even help to slow the progression of Alzheimer’s.
Using research-based programming, residents enjoy individual and group activities designed to engage and foster each of the six dimensions of wellness: physical, social, intellectual, emotional, purposeful, and spiritual.
Safety is Always at the Forefront
One reason families seek a memory care program for a loved one is fear. Wandering is common among people with dementia. And it is a very difficult behavior to safely manage at home. It can cause family members to spend their days and nights worrying their loved one will wander from home.
The mindful design of our Harbor Memory Care neighborhood helps to keep residents safe and secure.
We use visual cues to help residents confidently find their way around the community. Other design elements that promote safe independence include the following:
- Contrasting paint colors to help residents in memory care neighborhoods identify their surroundings and find their apartment easier.
- Special lighting to minimize shadows that people with Alzheimer’s and dementia often find frightening. This can help to lower the risk for agitation, aggression, and wandering.
- Electronic door security inside and out to keep the environment secure and help prevent wandering.
Our Innovative Approachto Memory Care
As part of the Benchmark Senior Living family, Whisper Woods at Smithtown benefits from being part of an organization that has been caring for seniors with dementia for 20 years. Our systems and processes are developed and continually refined based on feedback from our staff, as well as from residents and their families.
The Whisper Woods difference includes the following:
Specialty Care and Dedicated Caregivers
- Specially Trained, 24-Hour Team: Associates are hired for empathy and trained for excellence through the Dementia Live™ and Benchmark’s COMPASS training programs.
- Assistance and Care: Associates are on-hand around the clock to offer support with activities of daily living and medication management.
- Safety Checks: Routine caregiver rounds are conducted to help to ensure the safety and well-being of each resident.
Unique Memory Care Dining Program
- Dignified Dining: We use colorful tableware, visually pleasing meals, and a distraction-free environment to stimulate appetite, promote good nutrition, and create an enjoyable meal time. Our textured meal program means residents who have problems swallowing can enjoy foods that look very similar to fellow residents’ meals.
Innovative Life Enrichment
- Journey Stations: Areas throughout the community that are filled with familiar, comforting artifacts to allow residents many opportunities to reminisce, exercise their minds and do jobs that bring both pleasure and satisfaction.
- Engagement Boxes: These themed boxes allow residents to reminisce about past careers and hobbies while exercising their minds.
- Artist in Me: This program helps residents use creative arts to connect with family, friends, and their inner worlds.
We invite you to schedule a meeting to learn about Harbor Memory Care at Whisper Woods and to see our unique approach to dementia care firsthand!