When you eat for your health, it means you are eating those things your body needs most at all of the important stages in your life. As a senior, eating right gives you the energy to do the things you want to do – and it keeps your blood pressure and your blood sugar in a healthy range.
The Right Foods
Eat a lot of these:
Eat a little of these:
The Right Way
If you have barriers to eating well, keep these tips in mind:
- Ask a family member or friend to take you shopping, or ask if they will shop for you.
- Find out if your area has Meals on Wheels – call 888-998-6325.
- Buy cooked meals that you can simply heat up at home.
- Keep healthy frozen dinners in your freezer.
- Use a microwave oven for convenience.
- When you cook, make a larger batch and put some into small containers for freezing.
- Use more herbs and spices to make food more appealing.
- Stay active – this will give you more of an appetite.
Sweet Green Smoothie Recipe
Smoothies are a great way to get lots of vitamins and minerals in one tasty drink. Don’t be wary of seeing a leafy green like spinach mixed in with a sweet fruit – you’ll be surprised at how well the flavors go together!
In a blender, combine:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ cup of cold water
2 cups of spinach, stems removed
1½ cups of mango, cubed small
1 cup of green grapes
Blend and enjoy!
This article is offered as general information and not intended as a substitute for medical advice. You should always consult with your medical provider before making any changes in your diet to ensure that the changes are right for you.