What Is Respite Care, and Why Consider It This Winter?
If you were to ask people what Respite Care is, most of them probably wouldn’t have an answer. Respite Care simply means short-term care stay, and it offers a number of benefits to both seniors and their caregivers, especially during the winter months. The program is most popularly used when seniors have surgery and need a little extra support for a period of time. But this isn’t the only situation in which this kind of short-term care stay can be worthwhile; there are many advantages to Respite Care – and plenty of reasons why it’s something to consider this winter.
As the leading provider of senior living in the Northeast, Benchmark has helped more than 30,000 seniors through 25 winters. And we’re ready to do the same this winter.
The Benefits of Respite Care.
1. It’s an opportunity to experience senior living firsthand without a long-term commitment.
For seniors who are considering senior living, Respite Care is an ideal opportunity to try a community before choosing to make a more permanent move. As short-term Respite Care residents, they’ll experience the comforts, care and amenities that our residents enjoy year-round, including:
- Spacious, move-in-ready apartments
- Outstanding common areas, such as fitness centers, libraries, cafés and more
- Award-winning programs designed to nurture residents’ passions and build connections
- Three healthy, chef prepared meals as well as snacks – served restaurant-style, in-room or outdoors, with adaptations for special dietary needs and additional support available
- Weekly housekeeping
- Scheduled and emergency maintenance
- Appointment setting
- Scheduled transportation*
- Needs-based assistance with activities of daily living
2. It allows seniors to stay engaged and active, even during the winter months.
In wintertime, it can be especially difficult for seniors to stay active and connected to others. That’s why Respite Care is such a great option during the winter season; by staying at a senior living community, seniors have the opportunity to take part in weekly programs and events designed to foster connections with other residents and associates –and Benchmark’s programs are tailored specifically to our residents’ passions and interests.
3. No snow shoveling, driving in the snow or taking out the trash in zero-degree weather.
Seniors who opt for Respite Care during the winter months don’t have to worry about the usual burden of responsibilities and chores, like snow shoveling or taking out the trash in icy, cold weather. They even enjoy easy, scheduled transportation*, so they don’t have to drive in snowy or icy conditions. That means less risk and more safety during a notoriously tough season.
4. It allows caregivers to get a break from caregiving.
Respite Care has benefits not only for seniors, but caregivers, too. Respite Care gives caregivers an opportunity to take a break from caring for their loved one – to rest and take care of their own health. After all, the only way someone can truly take care of the people they love is if they are able to first take care of themself. Respite Care allows caregivers to take the time they need to recharge, so they can better care for their loved ones.
Learn more about Benchmark’s Respite Care program.
*Transportation must be scheduled and within the limited mile range set for the community